Flaxseeds are native to the East-Mediterranean region and are one of the oldest known crops. They are known to be high in Omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. This may help reduce cholesterol, blood pressure and stabilize blood sugar levels.
Over the past many years this wonder ingredient has taken on India by force too! So much that traditional recipe now incorporate flax seeds too!
Here’s a chutney powder recipe that we tried and loved!
Chutney pudi goes very well with dosas, idlis or hot rice – with a bit of ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 10 – 15 red chilies (adjust as per your taste)
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1/2 cup dry coconut or desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind (I used vate huli powder)
- Salt as per your taste
- Sugar as per your taste (optional)
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- To a pan, add each of the ingredients below, dry roast separately and set aside
- Flax seeds
- Chana dal
- Urad dal
- To the same pan add cooking oil and fry the red chilies until they are puffed up
- Add coconut and curry leaves. Fry until curry leaves are crisp
- Add asafoetida, tamarind and salt
- Add sugar if you like and give it all a good mix
- Add the roasted dals and turn the flame off
- Allow this mix to cool and grind until fine
You can store the chutney powder in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply