Sometime ago a friend’s teenage daughter put it in my head that factory – produced skin care products are the most notorious to health, since we use them every day for years and years.
Since then I have been trying to reduce usage of artificial products all together
It’s been some years since I bought a lotion or a perfume. The process of making them is almost meditative and fun too, since you can experiment and feel fantastic when you get so many complements the outcome!
Here’s one such recipe. My entire family uses this body butter. The best part is that this one product can replace 5-6 products that are supposed to act on all parts of the body!
- Shea Butter (500 gms)
- Vitamin E Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Coconut Oil – (4 tablespoons)
- Optional – Castor Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Essential Oil of your choice (Lavender, Orange, Peppermint are some of my personal favourites)
- Melt the Shea butter in a double boiler (Pan over boiling water – Do not use the microwave)
- Take it off the heat and add in the other ingredients
- Refrigerate this mixture for about 10-15 mins, till it starts looking cloudy
- Take it out and whip it with a stand mixer or a whisk
- You can stop when the mixture looks airy and soft
- At this point, you could add an Essential oil of your choice
What I like to do, is separate the mixture and add different essential oils and whip again for just a few seconds
You can make a lighter body butter by reducing the shea butter. Once ready, store the body butter in glass jars and refrigerate what you may not immediately use.